Mental Support Community

Irreverent banter :)

Luna-

Sorry, Sue.

'Babelfish' is one of the better-known online translation services.

{Where 'better-known' means, I know about it.}

But it won't understand what I wrote, because it's pretty bad Spanish. :-)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw this thread after i got done putting a bumper sticker on my facebook that states 'I speak randomly in spanish. GRACIAS!' heheheh. I love the spanish language, I studied through highschool and took a semester of it in college. I don't get to speak as much as I did in my last job, I just don't get the opportunity, but it seems that at about every happy hour I start spouting off random spanish lingo after about the 2nd glass. HAHA!

HHhhhmmmmmm..... one wonders if you chicas were like that little girl who once said: "I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Moi?

Est-ce ce que vous pensez?

Je suis desolee... :(:)

Ce n'est pas vrai. :)

Symora :)

No guarantees as to my grammar:

Nous parlons francais en Afrique du Sud aussi. J'ai appris à l'école. (That was too many decades ago!) Je parle un petit peu. Un tres petit peu! :)

(putting a babelfish in SweetSue's ear so you can follow too... :) )

Interessant! You're grammar is actually excellent, you even put an e at the end of desolee, and you have to be proficent to know that ...:) Here in Canada we have both English and French as official languages, although most of the country speaks English, with most of the francophones in Quebec and surrounding provinces. My family is francophone, but in Ontario we are being quickly assimilated :eek:... There is a longstanding rivalry between the English and French in Canada, going back to the colonial days, but I fear that the overwhelming number of English speaking population in North America will win the day! Ahhh, quel dommage de perdre cette belle langue...

Please allow me to use my internal French to Spanish to Portuguese to Yaqui to Ebonics to English translator for:

Nous parlons francais en Afrique du Sud aussi. J'ai appris à l'école. (That was too many decades ago!) Je parle un petit peu. Un tres petit peu!
This is the direct translation of the above French: I haven't done laundry in weeks, so I'm wearing my famine underwear, the boxers I made in home economics in middle school (you're now 45 years old, thus the parenthesis piece about "that was too many decades ago").

For those out of the know, famine underwear are what you wear when you run out of your usual underwear b/c you haven't hit the laundromat in weeks or months. Usually, famine underwear are full of holes that seem to be located in strange places, multiple stains, tears, a worn elastic band with a few strings dangling, and all sorts of other oddities. Famine underwear are generally >20 years old and hang out at the bottom of your dresser chest or drawers waiting for special occasions, like 25 years of marriage celebrations.

Do you see what an education your kids can give you??? Well, I'm certainly glad that for the first time here I have been of comfort and assistance to monolingual peoples. Aaaah yes, whoda thunk French could be so Romantic a language??

Ciao chicas y chicos,

David

Moi?

Est-ce ce que vous pensez?

Je suis desolee... :o

Ce n'est pas vrai.

No, this is not what I think.... my apologies if I offended you with my attempt at humor. I will remove the phrase. In fact I'll remove my posts from here since some may be interpreted differently than i intended.

No, this is not what I think.... my apologies if I offended you with my attempt at humor. I will remove the phrase. In fact I'll remove my posts from here since some may be interpreted differently than i intended.

oops... David?

Please what's happening?

It was just playful, we all had real fun with this thread.

And we did put you a bit on the spot, which I'm now really sorry for, but it really was kind of experienced as good humored fun, which was of all a bit, laughing with you, laughing at you and laughing for you.

But it was good mannered, funny, not meant to hurt you, actually I thought in a somehow indirect way meant a little to praise and please you too.

It was easygoing, light, free of self examination and doubt, just simple fun, please come back.

Not to worry guys... I'm still here and didn't go anywhere. I think Luna and I had a slight mis-communication, and that one of my posts had been hurtful, so I thought to pull my other posts down only on this thread. The last thing I want to do is be hurtful, like I said-- but no harm done now that we all understand.

Since everyone is back to normal, we can break out the tequila guzano (tequila with a worm at the bottom)... but I don't drink, so it's green tea all around! Olé!

So, it's confession time, anyone own any of these FAMINE UNDERWEAR?

Ciao Chicas (sorry malign, but you're no Chica),

David

PS: How pure was that translation? I know everyone is impressed with my French now:eek:!

ok, not part of the party here, but can I have some chocolate milkshake, (hold the milk) please :o

[green tea sounds way too healthy :eek:]

I forgot you were a chocoholic. By the way, there are many chocolates in the world, which one is your favorite?

Hey Taybkc88, can you run that French thru your random Spanish thingee and see what comes out the other end... I swear it's something about underwear or maybe it's a French Bushism a la George Bush.

I forgot you were a chocoholic. By the way, there are many chocolates in the world, which one is your favorite?

One :confused:

NO, No , David, I am a fully fledged self confessed chocoholic (and proud of it) I dont just have one favourite - I have many :o

My favourite manufacturer is Cadburys, they win it for me. everytime, :)

My ambition in life is to work at Cadburys' ..... as a taster :P

No guarantees as to my grammar:

Nous parlons francais en Afrique du Sud aussi. J'ai appris à l'école. (That was too many decades ago!) Je parle un petit peu. Un tres petit peu! :P

I'll take a take a stab at some of it...

We speak French in Africa with? (Sud aussi). I have (appris ) at the school. I speak a little (peu) Very little (peu)

Don't know if that helped much...:o

"Sud" is South, and we have Luna's "location" in her info as South Africa.

"Appris" is a conjugation of "apprendre", to learn.

Most survival translation is more detective work than anything. :-)

My family was sent to a French-speaking country in West Africa when I was eight. We were sent to a French private school knowing only how to say "je ne comprends pas", which is "I don't understand", and how to count to ten.

For the tail end of that first school year (we arrived in March), I relied on the American ambassador's son, who was in my class, and the French-to-French dictionary the teacher gave me to "read".

"Survival" is the operative word. :-)

I live in a tiny town, where most people are spanish speaking or bi lingual. I can understand spanish better then talk it , or read it.

I must confess I do have a tattoo on my neck which reads "loco chica " it was my brothers idea , brothers , no matter how old they are , their still a handful .

I've never known anything but having <two tongues>, so to me they are interchangeable. It feels more like just turning the switch unto one or the other.... which can happen many times in a sentence since I am so bilingual I think I don't speak either one completely correctly.... :-(

So just for the record, what Luna said was

Nous parlons francais en Afrique du Sud aussi. We speak french in South Africa as well. J'ai appris à l'école. I learned it in school. (That was too many decades ago!) Je parle un petit peu. I speak it a little bit Un tres petit peu! Just a little bit, and my darn famine underwear is falling off my butt!...

It’s alarming how easily one can misconvey something. I forgot to add a winking smiley in my “je suis desolee” post, so that it looked like I was upset at what David had said. My bad, I’m sorry David! Luckily we got that cleared up quickly, but it just goes to show that you need to Preview and then Preview again, before you send.

-----------

So now:

How did my underwear become a topic of international conversation???

Was it something I said? {wink}

Well, isn’t French amazing? It’s even more romantic than I thought! And so powerfully descriptive! Who’da thunk that the 4 little words ‘un tres petit peu’ could convey to all the world the state my underwear is in, that I couldn’t get to the laundrette, that I didn’t have change for the washing machines, that it’s been raining for weeks, the queues at the bank are a mile long and I DON’T HAVE A THING TO WEAR? {boo hoo, sob sob, giggle giggle}

I have a bone to pick with that old French teacher of mine! … wonder what else she taught us to say?

(And what’s with the worm in the tequila??? Are you supposed to eat it or just demonstrate that you don’t mind drinking worm embalming fluid? :eek: Are Mexican chicos just macho that way, David? {wink} To me, a worm in a bottle is just abysmal quality control… {shaking my head})

So, it's confession time, anyone own any of these FAMINE UNDERWEAR?

Moi? :eek: I don’t have any famine underwear!

I threw them all away VERY QUICKLY just after I read all this. I mean, what’ll be next, photos on the internet? Damn, nothing is sacred anymore…. mutter mutter… How am I to distinguish paranoia and delusion from reality when somehow, someone out there has a camera pointed at my butt, beaming back information via satellite!? :eek: Really folks, we need to find another object of fascination! {rolling my eyes and then winking}

Well…. hope you have a wide-angle lens …! {grin}

But from your most detailed description, David, I suspect that you ….? {wink, tweaking the angle of the camera}

----

Ahhh, you’re all awesome, you know...

Thanks for giving me such a laugh and making me feel good...

As Robin would have said, had he heard this conversation and been witty (i.e., inebriated) enough to think of it:

Holey underwear, Batman!

Now that was a more innocent generation ...

Personally, my holey underwear is still part of the regular rotation, rather than being saved for famine times. And I'm sure that's Too Much Information, but the urge to "share" was insurmountable ...

I thought the dead worm was there to prove it was really tequila, and not water. I wonder if natural selection is breeding for worms (caterpillars, really) that can survive in embalming fluid, I mean, tequila.

Luna, did you really mean to say that the butt-camera was "beaming back" information, or is it just my twisted mind?

Archived