Mental Support Community

New age bionic plaque

Daveuk

I'm trying to figure out a way to help elderly people with this insane telehealth bullshit. Anyone who's spent time with older people knows that is probably more frightening to them than the damn virus...having to figure out how to contact their doctors remotely using things like Facetime. Most have no idea what Facetime even is or how to use a smartphone.

I read a report from Imperial College London that a strategy may be a number of weeks of 'lockdown', followed by assessments with loads of testing to see if the measures could be relaxed for a bit,  then maybe another lockdown etc.

I suppose they don't know for sure there will be waves of it.

It's all shocking, isn't it? 

Here’s my question: why as a society do we have experts, well paid experts, only to disregard them in a crisis?  There are proven methods to controlling an outbreak:

1) Halt inbound infections

2) everyone gets a face mask 

3) Test everyone

4) rigorous contact tracing

5) Pay for tests, treatment and quarantine 

6) Collect the data and share it

10 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

Here’s my question: why as a society do we have experts, well paid experts, only to disregard them in a crisis?  There are proven methods to controlling an outbreak:

1) Halt inbound infections

2) everyone gets a face mask 

3) Test everyone

4) rigorous contact tracing

5) Pay for tests, treatment and quarantine 

6) Collect the data and share it

That is all in the works.  We'll be so grateful to government.  Also, the vaccine and anti-viral drugs are about to become available.  Japan has the most promising anti-viral drug.

Can you believe there has been panic buying of fruit and veg in some stores so the shelves were empty - how the heck can someone stockpile that? It's nuts.

I think the media should be spending even more time being completely practical about what can be done by people to help each other and encouraging them to do it, giving initiatives as much coverage as possible too.

Yeah, the world needs its boffins KS 😉

I saw that too. I guess people are too stupid to realize how wasteful it is, most of it will rot if it's just being hoarded. They've already cut store hours even where I live in chickenshit USA. My hope is that if they can restock shelves and give people some assurance that suppliers are still operating, people will stop this panic buying. If not, it's inevitable that the government will step in and begin some kind of rationing process. 24 hour markets were a godsend to people with anxiety disorders, but I guess that will just be a thing of the past now.

Since we're living in plague times, I'll share the origin of the name "Klingsor". Only one person in the whole history of my participation in the SPS forum guessed it, his name was DRK.

Klingsor is a character from Wagner's adaptation of the medieval story of Parzival. In Wagner's version, Klingsor longed to be a knight, but turned to evil and sorcery because he was "the man made smooth between the legs" ... i.e. impotent.

This in turn led to the naming of an obscure medical condition in which a man practices self-mutilation on his genitals.

31 minutes ago, jazz said:

I'll look it up - you feel like spitting fire?

Not so much anymore. The fires have mostly smoldered at this point. Just tired. I wish they would open vaccine testing all over the country, not just Seattle. I would gladly volunteer to be a guinea pig. Seriously, that's no exaggeration. But I'm not going all the way to Seattle to do it, I'd probably just get lost or assaulted.

2 hours ago, Klingsor said:

Nice victim, thanks. Had not seen that. How are things currently where you live? 

It’s rough. Store shelves empty. At first there was novelty feel to the quarantine but now all the memes have been reposted and people are bugging out.  

The governor issued a decree that all nonessential business must close. If all goes well I will be doing work from home soon but I feel bad for all the people that will lose their jobs.  Also nervous about what all this means for society.  

It's the uncertainty, the change that I hate. I hate change. For people with anxiety disorders it's just stomach churning.

I feel sorry for many people out there scared to death and worried, especially the older people. I was thinking about all the elderly in nursing homes last night and became very sad...it's bad enough they have to be imprisoned in those hellish places. I may reach out to the local church here and see if there's something I can do for people in nursing homes.