Mental Support Community

Argh. I don't know what I see a psychiatrist for. Do you?

Guest SomethingOrOther

Endnote is like sports. I know I should be doing it.

:rolleyes:

how figures always manage to look bad when they're printed

:D I know... But fortunately, I don't care much about it - in theses. (In papers, it's more important...)

I begin to feel stressed out by the fact that I'll be finished soon.

Today, I've recieved an e-mail from my friend (from our lab): She's got her thesis printed and finished on her table. She says she hates it and always will (because of all the distress during writing; mainly caused by her supervisor), but what's more important; she's looking forward to "live again". To read books, to do sports, ... To enjoy her life. I'm happy for her.

Now you'll say that that's what you worry about: You feel you wouldn't be able to enjoy your life. You'll have lost the aim of your effort (-thesis), thus... I can imagine :(. But it's the matter of attitude. I believe you can change yours. Maybe it will take time, maybe it will not be easy :(... But you'll succeed. I believe it. I wish it to you...

L.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To remain honest, I have to say it again: The same applies to me. And there are quite many others like us :-(. For instance, I've seen a "PhD forum" (similar to MentalHeplNet; you know, there are forums about 'everything'...) and... I read only some posts, but it was so frustrating... (I didn't come back there anymore) and I've read also several blogs here:

http://calnewport.com/blog/2009/02/16/the-danger-of-deep-procratination/

(-this is one of them; I sent it once to my supervisor to explain him my situation. He was kind but... his main "message" was that "the best you can do is not to analyze too much [the situation] and just do it" [write the thesis], what's "very wise", but... I'm analyzing everything everytime too much, so... I should probably replace my brain to stop doing so!)

chocolate chip cookies

Yum! :P

(I've been able not to have chocolate for few weeks now! It's easy when I manage not to buy it :rolleyes: and, mainly, when there are no birthdays etc. when people give it to us. I didn't have cookies for a long time, either. But I make a cake every week (-you kow; for my husband... ;-) (and me, of course)), so... ;) ...Erhm... The "too much details syndrome" seems to be contagious :D...)

I hope your computer will "put up" with your thesis till the end!!

:)

I have only one comment that seems relevant, though it's rather sad.

I'll finish almost a year later than my friend, who has a boyfriend and a job. I have nothing, really.

One can be unhappy with a boyfriend and with a job, too. I understand what you express here, but... I just want to remind that we often don't need the things/people we suppose to need to be happy. Sometimes the first step is to learn to get the best of what we really have, then the other comes...

I'm afraid this didn't help you with your hard weekend at all, but... anything else didn't come to my mind... :)

Guest ASchwartz

Dear Somethingorother,

I have two thoughts I want to share with you:

1. Now you know that you have a good friend. You can't say she never gave you anything. :D

2. You are worrying about your stress levels increasing. Do you realize that worrying about worrying is what increases your stress levels?

Congrats on your thesis and "gazuntheit."

Allan

Nice picture!! :)

And I wish you a quick healing!

P.S.:

I'm also too tired to win a nobel prize.

:)

P.S.2: Today, I was reading a PhD thesis in German (downloaded from the web, of course) and it was so pleasant to see that I understand! 'Scientific German' is so easy to read, almost like English (as it's so similar)! I write it here so 'out of subject' as I was thinking of you and your thesis while reading... :rolleyes:

I'm so happy for you, S.!!!

And you know what is the best? This:

I'm glad it'll all be over soon.

I hope you really feel this way! I hope you don't "fear" it anymore! :)

And... you also give me a little hope for myslef :)

Enjoy the present time off! :)

I'm not sure it's helping that the families come to the exam. I can only think of it as irritating to know that part of the audience doesn't get what I'm saying anyway. They call that support, but I don't see it.

OMG! Family on the exam with you??? What a stupid habbit!! I'm sure it's possible to 'arrange' it without the family! The profs would not know the reasons (you might say them: "They can't come this day") and the family... well... would it do a big difference (in your relationship) if you didn't tell them when the exam is (just after that "it was today") or if you explained them that you'd like to have the smallest audience possible, so don't want other people there then the profs?

Archived