Mental Support Community

Transference/Countertransference

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow this road to recovery is a rough one. Going through a very black patch after my encounter with my ex-therapist - its right now got to the stage where sometimes I feel I dont even want to leave my house for fear of bumping into him. There has been some additional personal trauma where I made myself very vulnerable but I dont want to go into that here - but to cut a long story short, I'm kinda scraping at the bottom of the barrel right now. People tell me I have such incredible resilience - right now that sounds fairly hollow. Sometimes it just all seems like too much.

It's strange how everything looks pretty black to me now, even celebratory world news - tinted lenses I guess. I know 9/11 was traumatic beyond anything but I struggle to get up and party when someone is killed - even the most vile of enemies.

At times like this I'm reminded of the words of Martin Luther King: "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."Martin Luther King, Jr....

Funny how so many things look so depressing now - guess I know the bitter sweetness of love all too well......

XX

Hey sister

Dont like to hear you are hurtin in anyway - you are such a gentle sensitive person and I worry about ya darlin!! You are def on my hot favorites list - I am in love with your mind sister.

I know you will pull through cos I sense your strength as well - you sure put me in my place!!!! :P Let us know how you are feeling today?

Love ya!

I have had to say goodbye to a person that I have come to love so very very much in the last few months - a person who shared so much of my pain and my joy and that loved me and knew me better than most. I was given a gift beyond measure but at the same time the parting wrenched my heart yet I know they will always be with me.

I am grieving very deeply and at time like this I wonder how much more loss I can endure. Yet I know now that I have the courage and the love to sustain me.

Please could I ask for a cyber hug?

XX

Chisholm

Oh sweet sweet child you sure have been havin a rough time of late. Was this person a family member or friend? Can you tell us more or would you rather not talk about it?

We are here for you precious soul. Dont stop posting - im always so moved by your way of expressin yourself

((((superhug))))))

I was given a gift beyond measure but at the same time the parting wrenched my heart yet I know they will always be with me.

This was what I learned to embrace in loss. I've always struggled a great deal with separating from loved ones, but these new thoughts have helped immensely now that I allow myself to feel this. I've probably written this here on the site many times, but it helps to remind myself of it as well. When you love, you are connecting with yourself, too. By loving another, you discover and then light up aspects of yourself through your love. Once you find your own light, you have the means to access it again and feel the connection with the person that you have lost. When I am a kind and strong person, I feel my mother's presence within. When I am an accepting person, I feel my friend's presence within. When I offer caring support to others, I feel my former therapist's presence within. Those are my gifts, but gifts that others helped me to find, and it is a place where we remain connected. The spiritual presence of others remains with us, I think, if we allow ourselves to feel and embrace our own self and the love we have to offer. When we embrace that, we love ourselves too.

I am grieving very deeply and at time like this I wonder how much more loss I can endure. Yet I know now that I have the courage and the love to sustain me.

I have no doubt that you do. I was thinking of you, too, and hope that you're healing.

Originally Posted by Chisholm

I was given a gift beyond measure but at the same time the parting wrenched my heart yet I know they will always be with me.

I've been given that same gift recently, Chisholm. And you are absolutely correct about the heart-wrenching feeling. While you know he or she will always be with you in your heart, do you also feel as though a part of you has been torn away? That's how I feel about the parting that occurred recently in my life.

You must be feeling such a breadth and depth of emotions right now, with the recent trauma of seeing your former therapist followed by this loss so soon afterwards. My heart goes out to you.

This was what I learned to embrace in loss. I've always struggled a great deal with separating from loved ones, but these new thoughts have helped immensely now that I allow myself to feel this. I've probably written this here on the site many times, but it helps to remind myself of it as well. When you love, you are connecting with yourself, too. By loving another, you discover and then light up aspects of yourself through your love. Once you find your own light, you have the means to access it again and feel the connection with the person that you have lost. When I am a kind and strong person, I feel my mother's presence within. When I am an accepting person, I feel my friend's presence within. When I offer caring support to others, I feel my former therapist's presence within. Those are my gifts, but gifts that others helped me to find, and it is a place where we remain connected. The spiritual presence of others remains with us, I think, if we allow ourselves to feel and embrace our own self and the love we have to offer. When we embrace that, we love ourselves too.

I agree 100%. Thank you for sharing your wisdom, Irma Jean. You are such a light for us.

I have no doubt that you do. I was thinking of you, too, and hope that you're healing.

Me too, Chisholm. Your sensitivity and your resilience inspire me and (judging from other posts) many others as well. I add my cyber-((((Hug!)))) to the mix.

---Rapha

Archived