Mental Support Community

whining thread

Resolute

Guest ChinaDoll

This is the problem about the mind. How about the suggestion that most people's misery is because their mind is being manipulated? I don't think most people are in control or know how to control their own mind.

True. Some are being manipulated. I think thats what media has been doing to the masses especially the less educated ones. But then again, even educated individuals can fall prey to masterful manipulators.

Guest ChinaDoll

I love the Brits. I don't have a huge desire for travel but England, the UK, I would love to visit.

Me too. It would be a very interesting place to visit.

very impressive (and i'm not easily impressed ;) ), doll. your english is actually better than some native speakers.

Thanks. Though I still have a lot to learn. :)

i bet this "process" requires much hard work and years of patience and discipline. how do i know this? because no one just hears or reads stuff and gets "cured" on the spot.

animals don't think about the past or the future; humans do (or at least they should). besides, what's so great about my present?

I used to be hardcore into that New Age stuff like Tolle, Sonya Ray, Allen Cohen, Wayne Dyer, Ram Dass, Ramtha, Casteneda, Alan Watts, Og Mandino, Christmas Humpfries, DT Suzuki, EST, Ken Wilbur, the list goes on and on. It was not a waste of time or anything, there are worse things I could have been doing, but I think I was looking for some magical insight moment where my life would just spring into its perfect form and that just does not square w reality. "It is what it is" is the greatest saying in the world in my opinion. Anyone who can really "get" that is way ahead of any of the Masters in my opinion.

I hope that helps and if it doesn't just take solace in thinking "well at least I am not that idiot" lol

I just added one guy to the list that I forgot lol.

The vast majority of people feel the way you do about the expression. I put it out on FB once and boy did I get eviscerated! The thing is this: it's not meant to be read logically like a line of code. It is something you have to get. It's like it is w a joke. It either makes you chuckle or it does not. If someone has to explain it...crickets. All good in the hood homie.

Thinking is part of "it". Thinking + what's happening = IT.

There is no "problem". There is no wrong, no right; no good no bad. There is no wisdom in perceiving that. It just is what it is.

Maybe someone is thinking "my god what a retard this guy is". Then what you have is a guy labeled "retard" and a guy thinking that the other guy is a retard. That's what is.

Look at me dropping Zen in the forum yo!

I love zen, though. :-)

I think that Tolle's point (or what I glean from it anyhow) is that the mind is a tool and maybe it's best not to become too attached to our thoughts.

One cool thing about psychological theory is that there is truth to be found in every theory. My personal feelings anyhow. They all offer something and we can learn from all theories, I feel.

Yes, it's definitely possible to change one's thinking. Challenging, but possible.

The culture wars being waged today can be boiled down to one ideological battle: the conflict between those who say "it is what it is" and those who practice relativism in all its forms, which is the same as saying that reality is whatever I make it to be. So no, VOB and SN are as diametrically opposed to one another as it is possible to be.

ok, but they're both opposed to our philosophy of "why the f*** is it what it is?". -_-

Hey at least we kicked up a little conversation. I just figure from time to time I share some thought that helped me operate in life and hey if it helps one person out here then great.

Skynight is a dude that back in the day I would have loved to smoke a little Acapulco Gold with and 11 hours would go by in 5 minutes .

Zen is my thing too. I hate it. It chose me, I did not choose it. Where I respectfully disagree w Tolle and all the others is that I do not think that enlightenment necessarily helps one's life even a little bit. Ignorance truly is bliss. The happiest guys I know live in their little row homes w their little wives and their little lives and never give a thought to this kind of stuff.

Legend has it that there was once a Chinese emperor who made Buddhism the religion of the realm. He summoned the monk Bodhidharma to the palace and asked "what merit have I earned?". "NO MERIT!!!"