Mental Support Community

whining thread

Resolute

It's good you have someone to talk to who will listen and support you.

I hear you that it's difficult to share news that will be painful to a loved one. :( I often feel protective too. I don't know your mum and you know best what to do, but is it possible she might want to support you in this, even if it hurts to know?

Feeling a failure is painful. :( I hope you can be gentle with yourself.

Take care of yourself, Draco.

@ChinaDoll

Yeah, I can understand how that might feel for a woman/daughter, so I suppose we're pretty much in the same boat. My sisters do help my parents and if they didn't, it would bother them. My mum did tell me that she valued me simply being around, and that I didn't have a financial obligation to her. I personally disagree with this and so did my brothers and father, and I feel she only said it to nurse my broken pride at the time. All that is okay now, my job pays enough to give her what I can, but my health issues are getting worse. Thanks for the kind words, but anyone in my shoes would behave in the same way. I hope that you feel better in regards o your responsibility towards your parents too.

some of my thoughts on determinism, compatibilism, and fatalism (not meant as an attack on anyone):

- determinism: the logical laws of universal causation deny the possibility of any true randomness (or absolute chance), as is required for freewill to exist. even if randomness was possible, what results from freewill would also be random and chaotic, and therefor abolishes the whole concept of accountability. in other words, all chance can lead to is indeterminism, which is even worse than determinism. randomness can only result in more randomness and chaos. randomness cannot result in order. only strict causality can result in order.

- compatibility: compatibilists believe that "freewill" is exempt from these universal laws of cause and effect; like it exists in a bubble of some sort. that of course, is logically impossible.

- fatalism: this is the belief that the exact fate of everything (and everyone) has already been determined, and nothing people do can have any effect on it. clearly an absurd theory, as it undermines all causality (even compatibilists believe in causality, just not as strictly as determinists).

i used to believe in a revised form of fatalism (which might conform with some members' views as well, such as victim maybe). in this version of fatalism, the fate of each person is also already determined, but only vaguely. this means that certain people are destined for unhappiness, but the exact type of unhappiness depends on their "actual choices". in contrast, some people are destined for happiness, but the exact kind of happiness they reach is determined by certain "real choices" they make. this applies to not only happiness but other concepts such as success, wealth, and so on. this theory is also flawed of course, because it also allows for the existence of freewill (it's essentially a form of compatibilism), which is impossible.

albert einstein said it best when he said "god does not play dice with the universe".

anyway, i hope everyone is doing okay.

in the words of Florida State University psychologist Roy Baumeister:

At the core of the question of free will is a debate about the psychological causes of action. That is, is the person an autonomous entity who genuinely chooses how to act from among multiple possible options? Or is the person essentially just one link in a causal chain, so that the person’s actions are merely the inevitable product of lawful causes stemming from prior events, and no one ever could have acted differently than he or she actually did? …

Determinism and Divine Goodness. Let’s assume for the moment that human behavior is fully determined according to rigid bio-chemical laws. We have no genuinely free wills, and hence we lack the power to have done otherwise. In spite of whatever feeling of individuality I may have, I am a small piece of a physical world with causal connecting links that extend billions of years into the past. When I buy a scoop of chocolate ice cream, that decision is the result of motives that were bio-chemically imprinted within my brain by my environment – such as the influence of my parents. The very existence of my parents, in turn, rests on a complex set of causes pertaining to their parents. This, in turn, rests on the history of the human race, life on earth and the origin of the cosmos. According to the religious believer, God is at the beginning of this elaborate chain of events. He creates the raw material of the universe, devises the laws by which they operate, and sets in motion a continually-cascading sequence of events that mechanically unfold throughout time and result in me purchasing a scoop of chocolate ice cream. Further, as an all-knowing being, God would be fully aware of the outcome of this cosmic chain of events. In short, my act of purchasing chocolate ice cream is ultimately caused by God.

If all human acts were as innocent as buying ice cream, then God’s ultimate role in causing human actions would be no big deal. But that’s not how it is. We very often do horribly vile things, such as enslave, rape, kill, and even wipe out entire races of people. Just like my purchase of ice cream, all of these actions would trace back to God as their originator. Even Hitler’s conduct was initially set in motion by the grand architect of the universe, and, at the tail end of an elaborate chain of events, Hitler robotically carried out God’s programming. The problem here is that we assume that God is a perfectly good being, but if determinism is true, then God seems to be responsible for all human evil. More precisely, the argument is this:

1. Evil human actions are determined by a necessary causal chain of mental and physical events.

2. This chain ultimately traces back to God who is the creator.

3. Therefore, God is responsible for evil human actions.

The problem is compounded if the believer holds that God punishes people for their evil conduct – either in this life or the afterlife. If Hitler’s evil conduct was the result of how God programmed the world, it doesn’t make sense for God to then punish Hitler.

Many religious philosophers argue that the only satisfactory solution to this problem is to deny determinism and embrace genuine free will instead. By inserting free will within the natural sequence of causal events, there is a gap that keeps us from tracing causes back to God. For all we know, God set the wheels of the cosmos in motion to culminate with a paradise on earth; but, when the chain of causes and effects finally reached the level of human choice, we freely imposed our own plans on human activity. God may have intended Hitler to be a gentle artist, but Hitler, of his own free choosing, went into politics to unleash his genocidal plan. However, while this solution might successfully rescue God from being the source of evil human actions, it presumes that humans have free wills. Just because the notion of free will offers a convenient solution to a theological problem, that in and of itself is not a good reason to embrace free will. We’d still need some independent reasons for thinking that the idea of free will is true—such as the argument from the feeling of freedom, or the argument from moral responsibility—and these arguments, as we’ve seen, are not necessarily convincing.

Have you ever heard of the concept of intellectualizing?

actually i didn't know its exact meaning until i googled it just now. to be honest, it might actually what i'm doing; who knows. i do try to put my intellect and logic before my feelings. my argument for determinism is still strong, i believe.

None of us got to choose our hands or feet or hair or eye color - it all just happened quite apart from our cognition and yet when it comes to the mind we believe we have a choice as to it's make up. Maybe somehow we do or maybe that's just an illusion. IDK. I have noticed that people I know tend to take full authorship of the good things that came to their life but much less so the bad.

None of us got to choose our hands or feet or hair or eye color - it all just happened quite apart from our cognition and yet 1- when it comes to the mind we believe we have a choice as to it's make up. Maybe somehow we do or maybe that's just an illusion. IDK. 2- I have noticed that people I know tend to take full authorship of the good things that came to their life but much less so the bad.

1- i "choose" not to wear any makeup, and so does my mind. ^_^

2- ya, some people think they're 'all that'.

For example, I had a buddy back in the day who became a varsity wrestler in college. He credited that to his effort and love of the sport. When he suffered an awful hamstring pull - that was all the fault of the coach for working him too hard.

and when he lost a match it was the fault of the coach for not pushing him hard enough.

Guest ChinaDoll

VOB said the guy he knew takes full authorship of the good things in life. Thats why he thinks he is 'all that'.

Several of us, on the other hand, ascribe our misery to the wrong decisions, unfortunate events, and unsatisfactory genes that we were given. Though the wrong decisions we very well may fault ourselves (though we must forgive ourselves our wrongs eventually), the rest that really is not our fault we still beat ourselves over.

For example, I am beating myself over the fact that none of the HR personnel to which I passed my CV to has deigned to show the slightest interest in what I can do for their company. It is my fault that I am not good enough. But really, I simply do not fit the requirements and has nothing to do with my lack in ability. I am simply a triangle when what is asked is a square. :P

Guest ChinaDoll

Yup. They follow the British system out here so they say CV instead of resume. Dunno if there's a difference. I pretty much mix British and American English terms if you've noticed. LOL. The hallmark of a non-native speaker.