Mental Support Community

whining thread

Resolute

12 minutes ago, Klingsor said:

A rub out. 

One or both of us seem to have driven Victim away. :icon_cry:

At least I assume it was one of us. Is that egotistical? I never intended for that to happen. I'm sorry if I did.

He's probably busy with work or something. 

Having said that, I personally thought you drove away Glenn + Roger. John doesn't post much either but is surprisingly punctual in responding to updates, and I do miss him posting. I hope they still feel welcome and safe expressing their thoughts.

Hey guys thanks for the kind words. It means something to me, it really does. 
I had just decided to take a little break from commenting. That may or may not be ending now, idk.

There is a paradox at work here for me: on the one hand there is no point in coming here if you are not going to honestly share how you feel but doing that seems to create a riptide of negativity that gets really unappealing after a while. So that's the wall I hit and the best solution I could come up w was to take a break. 

In addition to that I have just been feeling every bit of my 53 years lately and just trying to catch up on rest and get my full strength back. 
Anyway I hope things are going at least reasonably well for you guys and the rest of the gang too. 

It's good that you took time to care for your needs, Victimorthecrime.

When you mention a riptide of negativity when expressing your feelings, do you mean feeling negative within yourself or that you felt this from within the community? Your voice is valued here and your feelings matter.

I hope everyone feels better.

3 hours ago, Klingsor said:

I wish I could feel better or have hope. I realized today it isn't just about my phallus, that's only a symbol. I feel utterly incompetent and second rate in all aspects of my life and always have.

You want to feel better and have hope. I think that is very important. What would need to happen for you to feel hope? You mention that you feel incompetent. Are there also aspects of yourself that you have positive feelings about?

4 minutes ago, Klingsor said:

Just wanted to repost this because it is such a concisely excellent description and explanation of why some people are constantly miserable. 

Ignorance truly is bliss. Genuine and consistent self awareness for a disadvantaged individual is a curse. 

couldn't have said it better myself.

But isn't self-consciousness really about not being okay with and accepting of oneself and a lack of confidence? My daughter is extremely self-conscious and she struggles a great deal with any kind of interactions outside of the home. However, she is not competitive. I have also struggled some with feeling self-conscious, though less so now, but I'm not very competitive either. Competitiveness may be one manifestation of this, but I think there are others. So possibly the competitiveness and self-consciousness is a manifestation of low self esteem...something that can be worked on, I think. Though that can be challenging, I think it's possible to improve how we feel about ourselves.

17 hours ago, IrmaJean said:

But isn't self-consciousness really about not being okay with and accepting of oneself and a lack of confidence? My daughter is extremely self-conscious and she struggles a great deal with any kind of interactions outside of the home. However, she is not competitive. I have also struggled some with feeling self-conscious, though less so now, but I'm not very competitive either. Competitiveness may be one manifestation of this, but I think there are others. So possibly the competitiveness and self-consciousness is a manifestation of low self esteem...something that can be worked on, I think. Though that can be challenging, I think it's possible to improve how we feel about ourselves.

i'm sure that both you and your daughter would not have had any of these feelings (or at least you would've had them to a lesser extent) had you never seen people whom you perceived to be superior/better in any area (the areas with which you struggle). for instance, people  would not be as self conscious about their appearance had they not seen anyone more attractive than themselves. so ugly people wouldn't be under nearly as much pressure if everyone else was also ugly.

trying to change how we feel about ourselves without eliminating the actual problem(s) (assuming real problems actually exist and are not imaginary) is basically just sweeping all that crap under the rug.

It's possible we don't experience this in quite the same way. It was more of an internal issue of lacking confidence, insecurity with self, feeling clumsy, inept... I don't think that for me this originated from my observations of others, but was more about how I felt about myself. I understand what you're saying, though. E's struggle is a bit more complicated because I think she has difficulty processing sensory information. She is acutely sensitive to external stimuli. Her struggles were evident by age 2.

In my particular case, the problem itself was how I felt about myself and the issues I had and have had (at least in part) came from this. So changing how I feel about myself has helped a lot. Always a work in progress, though. Anything that interferes with a person's daily life is a real problem from my perspective.