Mental Support Community

whining thread

Resolute

Determinism and free will can exist together but within constraints. Think of a video game. I can move my guy and take actions I want but only within the constraints of the software of the game itself. What appears as free will is nothing more than a variable that accepts a range of values within the context of the larger game. If you want to win you need to understand the rules of the game but the outcome is nonetheless the same: Game Over.

Determinism and free will can exist together but within constraints. Think of a video game. I can move my guy and take actions I want but only within the constraints of the software of the game itself. What appears as free will is nothing more than a variable that accepts a range of values within the context of the larger game. If you want to win you need to understand the rules of the game but the outcome is nonetheless the same: Game Over.

so you agree that there is no 'real' "free will", just what appears to be free will?

Guest ChinaDoll

The unwillingness to develop or progress, inertia so to speak, is a passive-aggressive destruction.

That part I agree with.

Im sorry. I dont understand the initials. Would you mind clarifying?

The unwillingness to develop or progress, inertia so to speak, is a passive-aggressive destruction. It's generally known as learned helplessness, but that's simplifying it I think because LH sufferers show a willingness to progress but lack the resolve. Your complete dislike towards it shows a more comprehensive and perpetual DD

perhaps there has been a misunderstanding... what i meant was that really detest growth/progression through pain, suffering, misery, hardship, etc.. i don't mind being in paradise and learning stuff without any form of discomfort. also this is only "voluntary" if we accept the existence of "free will", right?

1- I mentioned this before too lol. To want to "Learn stuff/paradise" is from the pleasure principle, but to do so with the unwillingness to work towards it, is a tactic used by your subconscious to "price out" progression so you adopt inertia or helplessness. 2- As for being a determinist, nothing applies to you anymore, ever. So don't sweat it lol.

1- i see.

2- touche.

I'm going to stop. I'm just glad you're alive res. I thought you were lying dead rotting somewhere, and it bothered me. So many things I wish I hadn't said to you, and so many things I wish I did. It truly doesn't matter who believes what, as long as your beliefs serve you well. I'm going to get my posts deleted because it's all a load of shit in the long run. For months I've been content in reading and nodding along; and I prefer that! Peace out broski. Keep up the discussion.