Mental Support Community

shame

notmary

When you are in touch with this pain, I can believe that you do feel very weak, because you were so vulnerable. Vulnerability isn't bad in itself though Mary. In many ways, it is the better part of us.... it is certainly a very important part of us. That gets very confused when we are harmed through that vulnerability. It can make us want to reject it completely. That only harms us further though. The trick is getting to a place where vulnerability is ok again... :D

Good luck with your appointment Mary!

Vulnerability is a very bad thing I know that and I cant believe that i am opening myself up to this. I am just sooo sad i wish that i could just make everything stop hurting. my mind cant even pinpoint what ismaking me feel so bad at this point. he made me do such horrible things and i hate that about me i am dead inside but death would not hurt like this. i am a horrible mother right now i just want them to go away and not have to pretend to be strong i hate me

How could you, you were a child, and he was an adult, and he worked very hard to dominate you and manipulate you. How could you do anything, you were a child, a small child....

But today you are no longer a child, and now you have a right to be mad and to direct your disgust toward him, because you understand. Pull yourself into you adult self now, and see how fragile and naive that child was...she understood nothing of the world and how people could be...

You are going to therapy, right? Are you also taking any kind of medication. It sounds like your mind is looping the same situation over and over in your head. When I do that it is because I am experiencing physical depression and I need something to make my mind function better....

Yesterday afternoon I felt like a wave of sadness just sweep over me. I am overwhelmed with it rightnow. I feel like I am using ever bit of energy putting one foot in front of the other. I am extremely short-tempered and agitated. I guess therapy isn't really all that helpful for me.

I'm so sorry you hurt:(

emotions come from the midbrain and tie us together in a way, but they require balancing out or they will tie us up!

there are many ways to find balance, and a simple but powerful way is coordinated physical activity. Using both sides of the body in a coordinated rhythmic way (could be just walking) fires up both hemispheres of the cortex and pulls some of that energy from midbrain for a better brain state.

doing sudoku, crossword puzzles, playing a musical instrument, learning a foreign language, reading, drawing... those all pull us into the cortex too and give us a break from being emotionally swamped.

I hope you can get a break today Mary!:(

This deep deep sadness continues. Probably the best part of it is that I haven't had any memories resurface in the last 36 hours either... maybe they are coming to an end and now I can focus on learning to accept them and me. I now am trying just to move. I know that I have to face and feel these feelings, wish I was stronger than I am. I am so sad that this happened to me... just having a big pity party I guess. I get angry at myself for feeling this way since I knwo that so many people have things so much worse than I do. I guess I am just a weak self centered person.

This deep deep sadness continues. Probably the best part of it is that I haven't had any memories resurface in the last 36 hours either... maybe they are coming to an end and now I can focus on learning to accept them and me.

Mary, I think this is so very true. Maybe the pain you are feeling is part of your processing this acceptance.

I now am trying just to move. I know that I have to face and feel these feelings, wish I was stronger than I am. I am so sad that this happened to me... just having a big pity party I guess. I get angry at myself for feeling this way since I knwo that so many people have things so much worse than I do. I guess I am just a weak self centered person.

You are facing your feelings, accepting your feelings, accepting yourself...

I'm sorry that this is painful.

You're a very courageous person, Mary.

My therapist told me never to compare myself with others. It distorts what is important for you.

I can tell you for sure that the abuse I experienced was extremely minor compared to the abuse you endured. And yet, the pain it caused was so huge in my life! I cannot imagine shouldering more, like you've had to.:rolleyes::( There will always be "more" always "less" measurements when we compare our lives. But that is a distraction from the work at hand, so my therapist was right.

Dear Mary, I am so very sad this happened to you too:(. I have no problem with forming a party around you so you aren't alone. We are here. It is a very tough thing you are facing, and we see your courage. We stand with you because we know how easy it is to fall back into confusion, dissociation, self hatred. We show you our care so that you can get through to the other side of this. That is how this work is done. There is plenty a person has to do for themselves, but we also need others in order to grow. I have had tons of help myself, as you know.;)

Those are some very strong judgements.

Think for a moment what you learned about weakness growing up. That is what is so devastating about abuse and bullying: the bully can overpower you, so you conclude that weakness is such a hateful shameful state.

Yes you feel weak, yes you hurt, but that does not make you worthless. I am not worthless either.

If you can, resist pronouncements and conclusions right now. If you can, let yourself catch a break from all this intensity.

You are doing the very hard work of healing, and that is an amazingly courageous act:o

This would be a time when the right medication can get you past a tough spot so you can function again. Not one that dopes you up, one that lets you get past the flashbacks and function.

There are other options too, you don't have to do it with meds. Exercise can really help. Try anything on your thought stopper list.

I'm sorry today is so rough, Mary:(:(

Finding, Beth, and others, thank you for sticking with me through this. I appreciate it. I wish that I could just say ok give me the medicine. But I can't. I can't. If that is the only way I am going to get through this, then I won't survive. Maybe I don't want to survive. The stress involve with taking medication would do me in.

I continue to try to go to the gym. I make my to-do lists and I get through most of it most days. I am raw and agitated... just need to go back to not feeling but that is out of reach right now.

Again though, no flashbacks today. That is the bright side

I dont find myself courageous at all. I am a frightened child and I can't grow up. VEry angry at myself.

What is it that you're angry about, Mary? Are you angry at yourself now for the little girl's fears? You recognize her fears and you hear her sadness and pain. She deserves to be heard, held close and treated with kindness. Maybe you can nurture her through this difficult time.

I hope that tomorrow brings more serenity and less pain, Mary.