Mental Support Community

shame

notmary

Do you have a teddy bear or beloved stuffed animal, mary? Their job is to ward off bad thoughts and nightmares, you know:o. I have animal friends all around my house. They look in my face and hug me whenever I need it. My cats help too. Do you have the ocean picture handy, so you don't have to go find it? How are you today, mary?;)

Last night the calm of the ocean wasn't working. I felt so much anger at myself. I needed to yell and I wanted to be heard but there was no one I could tell my story to. I found a new release...at least one that worked for last night. I went for a long walk with my BIG dog to protect me. I walked and walked and I was able to feel safe. It is funny... being outside at night wasn't scary... outside in daylight (anywhere there are trees and sunshine combined) can be very bad... he hurt me outside many times but it was always during the day or early evening... I guess as an 8 year old I probably had a bed time and the things he did at nighttime he saved for my bedroom.

When will my therapist be back and why did I get myself to this point where I need to talk. I wish I didn't remember and when I did I should have kept quiet because I know that something bad will come of this.

Mary you were heavily, abusively programed that something bad would come from speaking out about what happened to you. This happened long before you could reason for yourself, and it is so hard to root out. Can you see it when someone points it out now though? You will continually need adult thought, adult compassion, adult care throughout this healing process... your little one got caught in time by this trauma and her access to your adult thinking got cut off... that is one of the things we are building here, is her connection to care and safety that she never had.

How are you today, mary?:P

Yesterday was a peaceful day from start to finish. Nothing set me off and I was able to be with myself and my family which was such a relief. Wasn't able to sleep much last night, though, with some very frightening dreams waaiting for me the couple of times I did drift off.

FInding, you are very wise. I used to think that I was mature and thoughtful and I was the one people would come to for advice. But for myself I do have this crazy 8 year old thought process. I can see as an adult the illogicalness (I love making up new words) and the magical power I have given this man. But it feels so ingrained, so automatic, that it is a part of me. And right now I am terrified as I wait for him to "get me" somehow. I pretty much know that he can't cause a tragedy in my life but his other threats were so "real." He assured me that I was so flawed that no one would/could love me. That my father died to get away from me. My mother got sick because I was so awful. That he did these things to me because I was trash and a whore and that NO ONE would choose to stay with me. He issued the standard threats that he would kill me or my family but he made it so much worse. He said that if I told, no one would believe me and that I would be taken away and left alone. I had already been "taken away and left alone" so I knew that this would happen. NOw as an adult, I get that he can't do those things to me, but the adult me doesn't think that much.

Long winded explanation... I am tired out from trying to be on guard against my crazy thinking.

Bravo Mary!!!!:) Not long winded at all. Though I can believe it was exhausting to do, you are speaking out!!

Each one of those threats are so very cruel, and your little one never had a chance to think differently when her world seemed to echo what he was saying:(. It was of course all lies:mad:.

You are doing the work though. You are building the connections and reaching across. You are seeing how she was caught in a horrid trap and can join us in saying oh I am so very sorry this happened to you dear one:(. We do not hate you. We are not ashamed of you. We welcome you. In time all of these these fears and nightmares will find rest because you are safe now.

I know it is so hard to go through this process and to have these nightmares and flashbacks. You are not alone anymore though. And these connections you are building to the help you need are real.

Mary at that age you were terribly neglected. You needed love desperately, and those who were supposed to provide that, along with your protection, did not. That was the laid trap for you that he took advantage of. You are still feeling so deeply ashamed of how your young one did not fight, but we are adults and we see how terrible this whole situation was and how your child self was so terribly abused in body and in heart. Dear Mary we understand:(. Mary, we understand, and we are not ashamed of her, we are not ashamed of you in your pain:(. We stand with you. Many people here know this pain:(:)

Mary,

Have you tried some of the things we talked about the other day to calm down? What were those things?

I agree with finding and malign.... You need to embrace your young one. It was not her fault. She didn't do anything wrong. She needed someone to love and protect her and she had no one. But you can do that now for her and we can do that for her to. She is safe and she is loved. I know it doesn't feel that way but keep saying that over and over and over to yourself and her.

I had a decent night in the sleep department and actually had some dreams that contained no monsters. The good news is that my therapist is back today and I have an appt. later on. The bad news is that I am scared to death to go that appt.

I feel so sad and defeated after last night. New "memories" are so devestating. Not feeling anywhere near strong enough anymore.